This is pretty interesting and not totally unexpected, people seem to generally have a negative view of protesters and people seen as disruptive iirc this also extends to environmental protesters and others.
What would be really fascinating to see would be a demographic breakdown between black and white people of BLM vs the civil rights protesters and of younger vs older people at the time vs now and most importantly how people felt on the issue that was being protested then and now.
But I think this article kind of hides something. I know that, though not militantly in favour, public opinion was supposed to have shifted to support of civil rights well before the civil rights act was passed, and after the protests in Alabama that were broken up violently by police a clear majority of the population supported the marchers. I remember this from an essay I had to do on it a while ago so went looking for sources, probably not the best but quoting from a pretty good book
Howard Schuman and his coauthors document in their comprehensive book Racial Attitudes in America, there was an enormous liberalization in white opinion on race from the 1940s to the 1960s. By 1963, one year before the enactment of the Civil Rights Act, 85% of whites polled in a National Opinion Research Center survey endorsed the view that “Negroes should have as good a chance to get any kind of job” and rejected the position that “white people should have the first chance at any kind of job” (endorsed by only 15%). This contrasts with 55% who said that “white people should have the first chance” on the same question in 1942 and 51% who said so in 1944.
Similarly, 73% of whites questioned in a 1963 NORC poll embraced the view that “Negroes should have the right to use the same parks, restaurants, and hotels, as white people.” The same 1963 study also showed that 79% of whites rejected the idea that transportation in streetcars and buses should be segregated, compared to 54% who had endorsed it in 1942 (both the 1942 and 1963 questions used the same wording). The 1963 figures probably overstate the actual degree of white support for integration and equal opportunity. But it’s hard to avoid the conclusion that white opinion had moved strongly in an integrationist direction relative to previous years, and that discrimination against blacks in employment and public accommodations was opposed by a majority of white voters by 1964.
Around the BLM movement, there is a stark split between white and black populations about the fairness of the police and justice system and general police conduct, I haven't seen much about polling of younger people but I would expect this to be not all that different from older ones. So there does seem to be a difference, with civil rights era protesters, people agreed with much of their cause but didn't agree with some tactics, especially at the beginning and after the act was passed (as well as suspecting communist infiltration in true cold war style). With BLM, thought it does seem like the issue of race relations and discrimination is becoming more prominant and people are aware of the need for change, and the vast majority of black opinion agrees that police practice is unfair, white and other opinion has not changed that much on their issue
82% of black voters [autoplay warning] think most black Americans receive unfair treatment from the police. White voters by a 56% to 30% margin don’t believe that’s true...But 70% of all voters believe the level of crime in low-income inner city communities is a bigger problem in America today than police discrimination against minorities.
So I think this is slightly different. Also I would say that BLM shows the limits of what a black nationalist centred movement can achieve in the US. The 'policing and incarceration as social policy' goes very deep into the heart of US social and economic policy since the end of the Breton Woods era, and it will need a very broad coalition to change it.
A fascinating look at polling data from the 1960s that found wide majorities of Americans disapproved of tactics used by the civil rights movement. Many Americans also thought that sit-ins, boycotts and marches hurt the cause for integration. The article then compares those attitudes with current attitudes on Black Lives Matter.